Sunday, April 8, 2007

A Dose of China Reality......Yet Again.

I will let this letter that I received under my door at 10:30pm last night basically speak for itself. The context being that student Kelly slipped this letter under my door after school last night. She is trying to help a fellow classmate who unfortunately recently failed his county wide oral English exam. All students must past this basic proficiency exam if they wish to go to college and major in something pertaining to social science or humanities. Kelly is a very perceptive and generous seventeen year old and has immense drive to help others, often me included. Saturday evening she came to me again at 10:30pm after her classes were over for the day and explained her friend's situation and asked me if on Sunday I would be willing to tutor him. Oh course I was willing and the next day spent my Easter Sunday sitting under a tree outside my apartment waiting for this student to arrive. I waited for about three hours and he never showed. This is the letter of explanation that Kelly slipped under my door that she was too embarrassed to deliver in person.

Natalie,
Hello!
I'm sorry about today. Because there is something with the boy-my friend. Today he went back home to get the money which is to give to the school. Because his family is too poor that he need to make parts of money by himself. He often work for other farmers to get a few money. In order to collect more money, so he worked for others the whole afternoon. He asked someone to take a message to me to let me say sorry to you. We really feel sorry about this thing and we didn't want to waste your time on purpose. I hope you can understand us.
About my friend the boy GuoDong. I really want to help him and indirectly give some money to him, but he didn't accept. He thought that he is able to run his life well and he should try his best to complete his study. He is very great I think. I can learn many life knowledge from him!
- Kelly

Two remarks, first I have to note that the school schedule for this student's grade consist of school Monday- Saturday 6:00am- 10:30pm and Sundays 7:00am-12:00 and then resumes at 5:40pm and finishes at 10:30pm. So this student was tilling the fields in order to pay the school fee from 12:30-5:30pm on his one free Sunday afternoon.
My second remark, just pertains to the observation that the dean of the school waxes his new white Honda complete with MaoZeDong dashboard ornament every weekend, and his wife seems to enjoy a new fur lined jacket every time I see her. China?????????

No comments: